Baltimore/D.C.• Volume 3 • Issue 1
Clockwise: Adam Goldstein, Tonya Gonzalez, Kathleen Mannix, Emma Nolan-Abrahamian, (Heather Reilly from Critical Exposure), Tennessee Watson, (Marie Moll and Ronald Chacon from Latin American Youth Center), Ingrid Hu Dahl, and David Sloan.
Letter from the Editor
Welcome to YMR’s first issue of 2009: Volume 3 | Issue 1. This issue marks a new focus for the journal, investigating youth media practice in six regional locations across the U.S. In order to increase the visibility of youth media happening between the coasts, the six issues we will publish will focuss on Baltimore/D.C., Atlanta, Chicago, Minneapolis/St.Paul, Albuquerque and New Orleans.
This first issue, with support from the McCormick Foundation, represents six impeccable practitioners in Baltimore/D.C. who met as a cohort January 28, 2009 at the Latin American Youth Center, Art + Media House to discuss the most pressing challenges of their work. Following this meeting, each member particpated in a professional writing and review process to document their perspectives and leading practices, represented in this issue of YMR. Each writer received one-on-one time with a writing coach and support from their cohort pair to develop a high quality, professional article.
• social justice and media censorship;
• economic shifts and re-location of youth media organizations;
• youth media must reach a teen/peer audience through new stylistic approaches in video production;
• photography is a critical medium in the field; and
• the importance of having an on-site social worker at youth media/development programs.
The writers who investigated youth media practice in Baltimore/D.C. represented in this issue of YMR are:
• Adam Goldstein, Student Press Law Center
• Tonya Gonzalez, DCTV
• Kathleen Reilly Mannix, Young D.C.
• Emma Nolan-Abrahamian, Critical Exposure
• David Sloan, Wide Angle Youth Media
• Tennessee Watson, Latin American Youth Center, Art + Media House
We welcome you to join the conversation for each of these articles using YMR’s “comment” feature. If you are interested in posting a vod or podcast, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ingrid Hu Dahl, Editor, YMR
Youth Media Reporter is managed by the Academy for Educational Development