Somerville Community Access Television Position Available
September 14, 2009
MEMBERSHIP OUTREACH COORDINATOR & YOUTH MEDIA INSTRUCTOR
Membership Outreach duties include increasing SCAT membership through outreach to schools, clubs, and not-for profit organizations in Somerville. Other duties include maintaining the member database, representing SCAT at community events, intern fairs, and public meetings, and working with members to enhance their participation at SCAT.
Next Generation Producers (NGP) is SCAT’s teen media program. The position will work with SCAT’s Youth Media Coordinator to plan and evaluate NGP curriculum, inspire and teach diverse groups of Somerville teens, supervise assistant instructors, and maintain the NGP web presence.
The person hired will be an experienced media producer and youth educator who is passionate about working with urban teens on documentary, music video, and informational video projects. He or she will be committed to utilizing media for creative expression and community development.
The successful candidate will have a college degree, excellent communications and group facilitation skills, and substantial digital video and studio production experience. He/She will be comfortable working with a diverse membership. Filemaker database and administrative experience are a plus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• NGP program instruction
• Assist the Coordinator with lesson planning
• Seek community collaborations for participant recruitment
• Coordinate project screenings
• Maintain NGP web page and post completed video projects
• Supervise assistant instructors and peer mentors
• Research grant opportunities to support NGP programs
MEMBERSHIP & DATABASES
• Coordinate membership drives and other outreach activities; represent SCAT at community events.
• Process memberships, maintaining accurate written and computerized records and quarterly statistics.
• Oversee membership renewals and other communications
• Ensure that central mailing lists are maintained
• Coordinate screenings and other member events to promote active participation in SCAT
• Coordinate volunteer opportunities, including the weekly reading of Somerville newspapers for the visually impaired.
• Assist with distribution of press releases, newsletters and flyers
• Produce community oriented programming for cablecast as assigned.
• Assist members with pre-production, production and post-production needs.
ON CALL DUTIES – Two evenings/week, 1 Saturday/month
• Answer phones, serve as receptionist
• Oversee equipment and facilities reservations, pick-ups and returns
• Tell newcomers about SCAT. Signs up new members
• Sign up members for classes
• Make dubs upon request, sells tapes, books, t-shirts, etc.
• Keep the facilities clean and neat
• Answer members’ technical and procedural questions
• Troubleshoot technical problems and routes broken equipment to technicians
• Attend staff meetings and special events
• Other tasks as directed
This position is full time with benefits, including a 401K match after one year employment. Some evening and weekend hours are required. Salary range is $32,000- $35,000, based on experience. Multilingual and minority candidates are encouraged to apply. SCAT is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume by October 16 to email@example.com or Director, SCAT, 90 Union Square, Somerville, MA 02143. No phone calls please.
For more information:
90 Union Square
Somerville, MA 02143