Youth Media Project: Job Opening in Media and Education
Youth Media Project is seeking a motivated, self-initiating individual for year-long service to build capacity in organizational operations and development. The Education and Communications Associate will assist in the coordination and instruction of YMP’s educational and media production and broadcasting programs, expand the delivery of youth-produced media content, and work closely with staff and director to further the mission of the organization. The position starts August 30, 2010 and ends August 29, 2011.
This position is available through New Mexico Forum for Youth and Community’s national AmeriCorps*VISTA Cadre program that places service members into nonprofit organizations that serve the needs of underserved youth.
Youth Media Project teaches the craft of digital storytelling for a socially responsible world. At our core are youth development, civic engagement, and amplification of youth voice for positive social change. YMP partners with educators in schools, colleges, advocacy groups, after-school clubs, and performance teams to facilitate program-specific media production training. YMP produces Audio Revolution!, a bi-weekly, hour-long radio broadcast featuring youth-generated content (from our educational partners) and orchestrated by the YMP Production Team.
To learn more and prior to applying GO TO: http://www.youthmediaproject.org
Tasks for the Education and Communications Associate position include:
* Refinement and implementation of online communications – newsletters, Audio Revolution! site/blog, podcasting, text messages and broadcast announcements.
* Development and oversight of distribution pipeline, file management, online data, and updating of information
* Development of volunteer program for supporting educational services and events
* Compilation of materials for replication and adaptation of educational programs
* Management and refinement of equipment inventory and organizational systems
* Assistance in organizing materials and programs for development and presentations to potential funders or sponsors
* Ability to effectively communicate and engage youth, educators, parents, and volunteers in youth media and service-learning pedagogy
* Excellent written, verbal, and editorial skills
* Practical knowledge of computers, computer systems, and familiarity with digital skills including video or audio production, editing software, web design, social networking, and file management
* Willingness to adapt and respond to organizational growth and development
* Experience with non-profits and community organizing a plus
* Experience in communications or public relations a plus
* Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus
·$10,200/year Living Allowance Stipend, paid bi-weekly.
·$5,350 Education Award (for college tuition or loan repayment) or $1,500 cash stipend paid at the successful completion of your year of service.
·Student loan deferment or forbearance on qualified loans.
* Healthcare (catastrophic coverage), prescription drug coverage and childcare allowance.
Eligibility/Restrictions: An AmeriCorps*VISTA candidate must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident, be team oriented, and be willing to take on a wide range of challenges. You must be at least 17 years old. There is no upper age limit, and many
AmeriCorps*VISTA members bring significant work and life experiences to their assignment. Self-initiative, flexibility and organizational skills are a must. Also, you must be available to serve full-time for one year, (August 30, 2010 – August 29, 2011) and are prohibited from secondary employment or full-time college during your year of service.
CONTACT for Application:
Judy Goldberg: firstname.lastname@example.org
505.986.1880 or 505.699.9740